There isn't one person on this planet that wouldn't benefit from the powers of probiotics.
If there were a dietary supplement that everyone should be taking, that product should be a diverse daily probiotic.
One of the top reasons for in-taking a probiotic is that probiotics possess the key to balancing the gut biome. Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for you, especially your digestive system.This bacteria protects the body from harmful and deadly pathogens, which cause havoc to our immune systems and overall health. Taking a probiotic simply adds balance to the good and bad bacteria in our guts.
Around 7,000 B.C. The ancient African Egyptians accidentally stumbled across probiotics in the form of fermented milk products and discovered the wonderful health benefits and became widely used throughout the entire Nile Valley for thousands of years.
Probiotics are one of the most overlooked aspects of improving our health. When people consider getting in shape they turn to the gym, clean up their eating habits or make lifestyle changes.
With the advent of research and advanced technology the probiotic game has taken a major leap forward. Based on today's latest research there are hundreds of different probiotic strains, which perform different functions in our bodies.
Some promote better digestive health. While others enhance the appearance of our skin or hair. And there is even some evidence that shows certain probiotics elevate our moods, energy and mental clarity. smarterreviews.com
The science of probiotics and overall gut health are far to vast to cover in this article. What we'd like to do is give you a road map on what a healthy, high quality probiotic should contain and what to avoid based on research I've come across in my search and studies for better health.
This is the criteria we came across for making and informed decision on what to look for when choosing a probiotic brand.
1. It should contain 9 diverse individual strains
2. 40+ billion CFU's or "Colony Forming Units"
3. Look for "Sub-strains" on the label, which are listed next to each strain.
4. MD formulated, by a person or group who specializes in gut health and probiotics utilization.
5. They should also contain fiber based "Pre-biotics" like NutraFlora Fiber. NutraFlora is a prebiotic, meaning it acts as a food source for the flora (or probiotics) within the digestive tract.
6. Look for non-refrigerated formula, because refrigerated formulas are simply less stable.
7. Avoid artificial coloring, fillers of binding agents.
Here are the Top 5 brands based on research and the criteria listed above.